The United Arab Emirates has issued a new Federal Trademark Law that came into effect in January 2022.
The major changes are as follows:
- recognition of non-traditional marks including sounds and smells
- introduction of multi-class filings
- clarification of the criteria used to assess the reputation of a trademark
- increase of the penalties for infringement
- introduction of provisional measures to prevent an imminent infringement
All these modifications aim at a better protection of your trademark rights in this country.